Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
8 oz. uncooked spaghetti, broken into 3 in. pieces
3 cups, cubed cooked chicken (I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 medium onion, chopped (I used dried onion flakes-probably about 2 tsp.)
1 cup 2% milk (I used skim milk because that is what I had on hand)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (I used mild cheddar instead)
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided (I used mozzarella instead)
1 can mushroom stems and pieces, drained (I omitted)
1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
3 Tbs. mayonnaise
1-1/2 tsp. steak seasoning (I used Hy-Vee Chicken Grill Seasoning--it worked great!)
1/2 tsp. dried basil
Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, soup, onion, milk, 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, mushrooms, peppers, mayonnaise, steak seasoning, and basil.
Drain spaghetti. Add to chicken mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Here's my finished product:
Since I have never cooked with red peppers before, I wasn't for sure what roasted peppers were. So I did some searching on the Internet, and I just decided to peal them. I honestly think that peeling the peppers and chopping them into pieces and cubing the chicken were the two worst things about this recipe. The rest of it was a breeze. I would suggest letting it sit a little bit before digging into it to eat. Once it sat, the sauces thickened up. I have also never cooked with basil before, so I was a bit nervous about that but with the basil and the seasonings, it tasted like something you would order from a fancy restaurant. It also made a lot, so we had plenty for leftovers. I even think that the leftovers tasted better than the first day I made it! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment