"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace." Ecc. 3:1-8

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wow!

Wow! I can't believe it's almost the middle of November already! Iowa has been spoiled by some absolutely beautiful weather this fall. I think the high yesterday was in the mid 70's which was so awesome! I wish it could be that type of weather year round. I am not looking forward to the snow, ice, and wind. Let's just hope that it continues to stay away for a while! Although it's been remarkably warm, the fall leaves have still be changing. Here is a picture I took one night while Ben and I were driving in the country.
I've not had a lot of free time to try new recipes or make any new cards lately but tonight I saw a quick recipe on a commercial for Dahl's. I thought, "Well, I have all those things on hand. I should just try it because it sounds easy and good." I altered the recipe a bit but here is the original from Dahl's website:

Quick & Saucy Chicken Stir-Fry

  • 2 Tbsp. oil, divided
  • 1 cup broccoli florets, bite-size
  • 1 cup cauliflower florets, bite-size
  • 3/4 cup carrots, two inch julienne-cut
  • 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup Miracle Whip Light
  • 1 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2 cups hot cooked rice
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in wok or large skillet over medium high heat. Add vegetables and garlic. Stir-fry 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside. Add remaining oil and chicken to pan. Stir-fry 4 minutes or until no longer pink and cooked through. Mix together Miracle Whip, soy sauce and ground ginger in a small bowl. Add vegetables and all remaining ingredients, except for rice, to cooked chicken. Simmer 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Serve over warm rice.
Serves 4.

My changes: Instead of using the original recipe, I cut it in half as it was just for me. The only veggies I used were broccoli and carrots. I also didn't use any chicken. In addition, I eliminated the garlic and ginger and instead of miracle whip, I used reduced fat mayo. Here is what my finished product looked like:
Result: I thought it was really good. It was a lot better when I mixed the rice with the veggie/mayo mixture so the mayo mixture what throughout the dish. This is definitely something I'll make again as it is always nice to recipes that call for ingredients on hand!

Now, I better start typing up my Christmas list as I have family members who've been asking for it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment